I get asked all the time how I get my images off my Olympus OMD camera and to Instagram so quickly. It’s happened to everyone, you get an amazing shot but you are out in the middle of nowhere with just your camera and your cell phone. This photo is Instagram-worthy and you want to share it, so here is a quick step-by-step guide to help you get your images on Instagram quickly.
Setup your Olympus App
- Download the O.I. Share app for free. I would download the app when you are on WiFi just to save the data and time downloading the app. Also, it’s easier to set up before you are ready to share.
- When you open the app you are greeted by the Easy Setup for your camera.
- Grab your Olympus camera and turn on your Wifi.
- Hit the use now back on the app and scan the QR code on the back of your camera.
- It will ask you to install a profile to your phone. Go ahead and install that profile.
- Once you hit install you will see the profile. I have an EM5mkII so it shows the name of the camera. Hit install one more time at this point. You will be promoted for your phone passcode if you have one setup.
- Your phone will tell you the profile is not signed, that is okay. Go ahead and hit install again.
- You will finally get back to the profile screen and will see ‘Done’ in the upper right-hand corner.
- Once you hit done it will open Safari and give you two options. Chose the ‘Back to O.I. Share’ option.
Setup Gallery Images
Connect and Import
- IMPORTANT NOTE — you will not be able to connect to your camera if your phone is currently connected to another WiFi network. This works best when you out somewhere and not connected to a network. So if you are somewhere, like home or a coffee shop, and connected to a network here are the steps to follow.
-Go to your phone Settings
– Navigate to WiFi
-Choose your camera’s network. It will have the name of your camera in the title so it should be easy to spot.
-Once you are connected to that network it will auto connect every time you are not on another WiFi network.
- Open your OI App and you will notice at the bottom that it now says “On”
- Select Import Photos
- A visual list of photos on your memory card will now be displayed. You can select the photos you want to import.
- Hit select in the upper right-hand corner. You can either select all or touch the images you want to import. After you have finished selecting your images hit ‘save’ in the lower right.
- The app will ask for access to your photos the first time you use the app. It is okay to grant that permission.
- The app will also allow you to turn off your camera upon import.
Connect Gallery Images
- Open your photos app and you will notice a folder called ‘Olympus’ all your imports will be there as well as your main camera roll. You can now edit those or open them in your favorite editing app.
- Once your photos are edited upload them to Instagram as your normally would any photo.
This might seem like a lot of steps but, it goes really fast once you have the basic setup completed. The most important thing to remember is that if you are on another WiFi network you will not be able to connect your camera and your phone. If you are out in the wild your phone will automatically connect to your camera’s WiFi.